Quinoa is a great option for runners because it's a seed that is a complete protein (it contains all 9 essential amino acids). So, it's great for just about everyone, including those who are gluten free and vegetarian. Below are two of our favorite quinoa recipes, one for the morning and one for the evening. Both are easy to make and great for pre and post runs.
Quinoa Kale Salad - this salad is easy to make and you can incorporate whatever veggies you like best. We recommend cooking quinoa ahead of time and then using it throughout the week.
- 2 cups kale, finely chopped
- 4 oz grilled chicken or firsh
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- Unlimited veggies
- Cook quinoa according to instructions
- Cook protein until cooked through
- Toss kale, quinoa, protein and veggies together and top with your favorite salad dressing
Morning Quinoa Bowl - this is a great breakfast option for a long run day. Cook your quinoa ahead of time.
- 1/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 tbs silvered almonds
- 1/2 banana, mashed
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup milk (almond, rice or regular)
- 1 tbs maple syrup
- Combine all ingredients in a 2 quart saucepan
- Heat on medium-low, stirring, until the quinoa has soaked up the liquid
- Add more milk until the consistency suits you.