It can be challenging to stick with our training plans while traveling, for work and for pleasure. We usually recommend cutting back the miles so you can enjoy your vacation or not be overly stressed about fitting in a long run.
Meghan was just on a work trip for 7 days so she had to rearrange her training schedule to fit her work schedule. Here’s what she did to keep up her fitness and get her miles in. She was in Mexico City with a photographer so she was at the mercy of the light and the photographer’s schedule. While this got her awesome pictures, it didn’t leave a lot of time for working out. She decided to cut way back on her miles and focus on strength this week. Mexico City has terrible traffic so they walked a lot (5-8 miles a day) so she was conscious of how much her legs were doing.
- Monday – travel day
- Tuesday – 30 min run on treadmill and 5 minutes of abs
- Wed – 15 mins of strength in hotel room
- Thursday – 20 min run and 10 mins of strength in hotel gym
- Friday – 20 min total body workout
- Sat – 20 min HIIT workout
- Sunday – 5.5 mile run (and she found a race!)
Traveling can be stressful so we always recommend going with the the least stressful option – finding a treadmill or cutting back on your miles.